Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Imelda Reaction Paper

Royce Tee 2013-71153
STS THX

Imelda Reaction Paper

I’ve always only known the Marcos family from the history books. That Ferdinand Marcos declared martial law and Imelda had her shoes. And somehow fixed the country. But a lot of that changed with me watching Imelda.

The documentary Imelda showed the life of Imelda Marcos from the meeting Ferdinand Marcos until the aftermath of the EDSA Revolution. Stories and testimonials from different people were included, such as family, friends, historians, and Imelda herself. Finally the video proceeded to give me an entirely different take on what I thought happened.

It’s not that I agree with everything that was said. That’s the point of the video - to provide opinions from both sides, reasons why each side thought Imelda’s actions were either for better or for worse. However, what won me over was the surprise at how interesting Imelda was. I didn’t know that from a trophy wife, she slowly became a very proactive and strong woman who handled so much change in the Philippines. 


In the end, what was left with me was a feeling of awe - that whether Imelda was right or not, she was someone to be respected in her own right. She was someone with a vision, as well as someone who knew how to take control and lead. She was someone who was able to improve the Philippines, no matter what the cost or the consequences were.

No comments:

Post a Comment