Monday, March 10, 2014

Reaction Paper: Music and Science

Hayashi, Daiki
STS-THX
CAS(UPLB) 2012-98083

Music makes the world go round

When I heard the song Fly me to the Moon in class, it sounded so familiar to me then it came to me that this song was used for the ending theme of Neon Genesis Evangelion, the anime series I used to watch before. It was unusual for anime productions to use Jazz music as a theme song thus, I remembered it clearly. Amazingly, Fly me to the Moon was produced in 1954 and many artists across the globe still sing this song and make their rendition. In 1962, when this song was covered by Frank Sinatra, it was also the time when the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was into the Apollo expedition, which aims to send people to the moon. Fly me to the Moon was brought by Apollo 10 and 11 and became the first song played on the moon.  

A lot of songs are inspired by love. Even since thousands of years ago, people were singing love songs already. Fly me to the Moon is a romantic love song because love is a universal value in any societies and in any period of time in the world. They were sung because love has always been a major concern of human beings.  Likewise, there have been songs about future technologies also because humans have dreamt and imagined of new technologies, which will enable us to see a brighter future. Technologies can formulate new types of music. On the other hand, music can also portray the present technology and can even predict the development of new technologies.


No comments:

Post a Comment